Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Episode VIII - Attack of the Cones

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! (OK, it's two Sundays ago by now.)

Somehow, I feel different than I did that Saturday before. Maybe it's because timing got a little hairy. Or maybe it's because we had a nearly 2.5 hour first heat. No, I think it's got something to do with the fact that we had 13 first timer Camaros show up. Yea. 13 of them. FJC was faster.

And possibly because we had the strangest delay of event ever. No, a plane didn't try to land on the taxiway, on top of one of the said Camaros, though there were some circling quite low. No, we had a delay of event because one of G-Fab's own lost a very important (prosthetic) body part on course.

Oh yeah. And one more thing. We finally had gained some confidence in the car, and decided to try it's hand in SSM and Sm...and we blew up yet another transmission. That might have something to do with it. On the other hand, I did get to take apart my first transmission, and this is what I saw:
I'm not sure, but I don't think gears are supposed to look like that....

We're never using Royal Purple again. And it's funny, an M3 friend of mine, and friends of his, swear RP is the devil. Trannys clunk, diffs asplode...no more RP for us. Amsoil is on its way to a town in CT near you.

For now, we've got the spare transmission bolted in, and it will hopefully be up and running by Saturday, for the Stirling Moss Runoffs on Sunday.

Coming up: R33 GTS25T transmission, XXR wheels.

No comments: