Monday, September 20, 2010

Went to a local FCSCC autocross this weekend to goof around in Roger Whipple's ST class 1991 Civic. It's a fun little car that needs some new rear shocks. Despite being completely different from what I'm used to driving, it was a blast to drive, and probably capable of an STX class win if it wasn't for a dig-and-burn course and those pesky cones. Oh well, no excuses: my driving has been teh sux0rzes lately.

Since the Civic seems to make my head look big, I ended up taking Tim Kong's ST Impreza out for a couple runs. The AWD definitely helped, but I couldn't adapt to the floaty suspension on the first run, and hit 4 cones on what would've been the PAX FTD. Being over-confident in the ABS on run 2 led to failure of the n-th degree (O/C).

Also got a few runs in with some boosted cars: Justin Lau's STU STi, and Kyle Bishop's SM Evo. Both were fun cars, capable of taking the RAW FTD, although there were definitely some changes I'd make to the Evo for suspension (namely some shocks that work).

My sister finally came out to a race in her Mini. Somehow she came out to race before my cousin, Ashley, who still owes Jenna a race after a race/golf bet. Luckily for Jojo, instructor PJ comes before brother PJ, and I actually told her to do things.... and she did them. Weird, isn't it? Look, ma! Cooperating siblings! I think she'd cry if I showed her this:
One of the perks to Jojo racing is that Jenna got a chance to drive something different. Despite being the only car on all-season tires in the class, she put up a good fight. After over-driving for a few runs, she definitely started smoothing it out and separating the gas/brake/steering (very necessary on a stock low-grip car). I think the lessons learned should carry over to the Mazda 3. We'll see this coming weekend when she returns to HS.

1 comment:

Jojo said...

Mom and Dad's initial reaction to my MINI was, "It's too small. Return it." Now, if they find out that we not only get along, but we are having FUN together...

The highlights of the day were the following (in no particular order):

1) Nick: something something 1st gear, something something 2nd, something pop something throttle, something something, backside cone something, left foot braking

Novice dude to his friend: I think I'm just gonna keep it in "D"

2) PJ: This is my sister
Justin: Who's older?

3) Jenna: On your first run, I was thinking, "What is she doing?! Why is she braking?"
Me: I was looking for a parking spot

4) Joe: Oops, you were supposed to go through THOSE cones

5) LCD: 39.444