Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Late Toledo Recap


Forgot to copy this over to the blog like a month ago. Here it is in all its glory: Toledo FAIL

Too frustrated to really post much now, but we're on the way home having pretty much rode the failboat into a rock. Saturday started off well enough, with Dave positioning himself in 2nd with lots of room for improvement. I got a clean first run in, but on my next run the tranny popped out of gear and made lots of noise. I coasted it in and we checked it out.

Put it in 1st gear and tried to roll it: OK
Put it in 2nd gear and tried to roll it: FAIL

After lots of noise we did a little more testing to make sure it wasn't the clutch, and also tried pushing it around with the engine off and in gear. You're not supposed to be able to freely push the car around with it in second gear....

After about an hour of phone calls, we found a transmission, but it was 3 hours away and they were closing in: 3 hours. Dave went to get it while I pulled the old tranny. Drained a lot of fluid and gear bits, showing fully that the tranny was toast.



Dave eventually got back and we got the tranny in within an hour from then, but in order to do so we had to jack the engine all sorts of angles. This would bite us in the ass later. I also pretty much forced the tranny in, so I think it may be slightly off, as the clutch is stuttering a bit. Grrreaaat.

Anyways, Sunday rolls around and we eventually get to our heat. Dave starts off fine but looks slow. He comes in complaining the clutch is slipping or something, and I check the fork and it seems to be fine. The pedal throw is all weird from the clutch stop no longer being at the correct height, but other than that it looks fine. He swears we're burning up clutches but says he can't get it past 4500rpm, which confuses the **** out of me. All he can really say is the clutch doesn't feel right.

I get up for my runs and instantly find out that I've got no boost. Turbo is spinning and I can hear it, and figure out it's a blown intercooler coupler (just pulled off from jacking the engine around). By then it's too late, and we can't fix it. My runs are over and we're sitting 4th and 5th, without enough points to be able to do any damage at this year's Pro Finale.

So, our year is pretty much shot. We're still debating on if we'll be at Nationals or not. I want to go still, but we'll see if the team as a whole wants to head out.

So I lied, that was pretty long. I might post some vids later, but I'm shot right now.

FML.

-PJ

No comments: