Tuesday, April 19, 2011

FCSCC Points Event 1

Did an event on Saturday with a local club (FCSCC). It was a super small lot, but still managed to get 16 runs on the car (3 drivers at 5 runs each with 1 fun run) without any fuel issues, and we were done by 2pm in order to get out before the afternoon rains hit.



The car performed better than ever, but still has some quirks. The summary of performance is as follows:

Max GPS Accel G: 0.46
Max GPS Lateral G: 0.90
Max GPS Braking G: 0.32
Top Speed: 42mph
Average Speed: 28mph

I'd expect on a warmer day and a better surface the Lateral G number to be higher. Temps were in the 40's, with 25mph winds blowing over cones every now and then. The Hankooks, which are better hot tires, were likely never up to temp, even with 3 drivers cycling through the car.

The fact that the car accelerates better than it brakes means something is wrong. I'll go over the caliper slider assemblies and re-bleed them before this weekend. Seems like one caliper is locking early, or a tire is loading up too fast:


I also need to corner-balance the car a bit, and check the ball joints that I haven't yet replaced. I had the car up on blocks last night to check all the bushings up front, although at some point I need to burn them out to swap in the Energy Suspension bits.

Despite all that, I was able to outrun a friend's STR NC MX-5, which we had spent all Friday night setting up after one of the Ohlins height adjusters jammed up.

Having to disassemble the upper control arms to remove the shock is very annoying in that car. If he lets me design some new upper arms, I'm definitely building in the ability to swap the shocks out easily. Still, his car and the ST car are at the same level of development, so they seem to make a good pairing. On a small lot like the one we were on where we couldn't get up to speed (probably needed to downshift to first on a few corners we didn't), the handicaps even out. Sadly, an EF Civic with its shorter gears was able to outrun the ST 240 by a half second.

This weekend is another NER event on the runway course. Speeds there are more like National level events, so I'd expect the 240 to lay the smack down. Some small setup changes and another fresh tank of gas should make the car even faster, although I'm behind on working on the Panda so how much I'll get done is up in the air.

No comments: