Friday, April 29, 2011

Are you really reading this? Why? You could've read this on FB already.

Why aren't you watching people you'll never meet get married for an unspecified amount of time before the first ever Royal Divorce? Oh wait, that's not in America.....


Updates? Well, you've now officially missed a race or two, but rain events don't count, so for those keeping track of G-Fab points, you have now learned a few things:

1. The points system was not made for you to win
2. I have almost completed the 12th chapter of the Book of Excuses
3. Fast Five comes out tonight, and you bet I'll be there with a bunch of hooligans
4. No matter how many points you get by the end of the season, it will pale in comparison to the amount of bonus points each and every G-Fab member gets.

On to the good stuff:
At the most recent NER Points/ G-Fab non-Points event (except Jenna gets 70.948 bonus points for beating Wiley), the Panda Team figured out that Falken RT-615 (non-K) tires are better than 5 year old Hoosier Wet Radials (non-HWET) but not as good as Dunlop Direzzas, Toyo R1R, or Hoosier HWets.
Photo by Ed Savage. Thanks, Ed!

They're probably on par with Hankook RS3's in the rain, which absolutely BLOW. Because of that, the Falkens have been relegated to street duty on the STU/X G35:

New Hoosier HWet H2O tires are on the way, so we'll be armed and dangerous for the NJ Pro Solo coming up at the end of May. On top of that, we're making some super top secret suspension changes. Now if only I could get all our tires to fit in the truck so that we can run our regional tires, 12 run Nats tires, and have the sticker tires for an emergency, and also the rain tires, and maybe I should mount up a set of intermediates, and also some street tires might help if it's cold.... and that's also not including wet (Contis or Toyos?) and dry (Shaved RS3) tires for the ST car. Maybe I should get a set of Dunlops for that car, too?

One thing is for sure, I reeeally should invest in a tire mounting machine, or seek sponsorship from CT Tire, which has been our go-to place for mounting rubber because they have yet to damage a wheel (unlike everywhere else that has nicked the crap out of my CCWs).

More good stuff:
If it looks like I'm hunched over something that looks like a Skyline R33 GTS25-T RB25DET transmission, it's probably because I'm trying to figure out how to bolt it to my S14 KA24DE-T.
In some earlier post I showed how 3 bolts don't line up, while the rest are just about perfect. Well, when things don't line up, you either beat them into submission or cut them out entirely. Unfortunately, I didn't have a big enough hammer to beat the transmission into shape, so I took out an angle grinder:

I probably don't want a huge chunk of transmission missing, so I took an old transmission that lost its second gear (why do I have so many?) and cut a similar piece out. Like pieces of a poorly made jigsaw puzzle, they almost fit together!



And with that, I'm done.









No, not really. The entire assembly will go to 240sxMotoring where it'll be jigged up and TIG welded to perfection. For now, we're getting ready to head up to NHMS for NER Points Event 2!

No comments: