Tuesday, November 23, 2010

New England is Mean to Metal: G-Fab ST Update

I finally got a chance to look over the entire car and check for hidden damage. Despite the body being in decent shape, the car is in serious need of some rehab. Some of the rot is all the way through, but thankfully nothing too large to patch up.

Frame and Body:
The worst of it is a hole in the floor board (only 1 so far):

It almost looks like something punched through and rotted out after, but I'll grind it down to metal and patch it up. It'll have to be pretty structural due to being so close to the passenger seat mount, as well, which is somewhat scary. I may have to cut out the reinforcement from the donor car and see if it's any better.

There's also a square 3x3" hole punched through the driver's side frame rail:



The passenger side isn't swiss yet, but it's not in the greatest of conditions, either:



Finally, one spot that looks to just need some POR-15 or a wire wheel:


Oddly enough there are tons of spots on the body that I'd have expected to rust that didn't. Regardless, I'm planning on going through a lot of PB Blaster, wire wheels, and rust converting paint.

Suspension:
The traction control rods are preloaded with what looks to be the older style Energy Suspension bushings:


The rear multilink looks to have fared the weather slightly better than the frame:



Interior:
The interior isn't shabby. Just missing some plastic that I can pull from the donor car, and you can see the S-AFC, turbo timer, and crappy wiring. The water temp gauge also has to go.


Engine:
The engine bay isn't bad, just missing stuff:


I was told it ran before parts were pulled off of it, but who knows what condition its in. The car was previously turbocharged, so I'm not expecting much. The first order of business is to get it up and running and do a compression test to see if we can at least drive the car around enough to get it registered, but I'll probably pull it before the season starts to do a minor overhaul. Luckily spare KA's are easy enough to find for some reason I can't rebuild it .

Current Thoughts:
I wish I bought a Cali car :P

No comments: