Thursday, July 03, 2008

Holy Toledo! Muffin Tops and Breakfast Sandwiches

Today at work we did a pot luck breakfast before the weekend. I brought in muffins but can only seem to get through the top before discarding the bottom in a wasteful manner which seems to provide some analogy for my life as a whole. Hopefully, I'll have some muffins to eat while possibly stuck in traffic along I-80.

You read that right. Despite the overwhelming mass of people who will be taking the upstate NY route to Toledo, Dave and I are planning on following one of G-Fab's most sacred traditions:

Drive fast. Take chances.

Drive fast? 70mph is fast, right? Maybe Dave will brave 75mph (I aim for 13 mpg). We're definitely taking chances though. There's a chance we'll hit traffic and arrive in Toledo at the same time as everyone else, and there's a chance we'll be scott free all the way to Toledo, where we'll be Scott-full, since he's sharing a room with us at the oh-so-popular Days Inn.

Anyways, before embarking on this journey, I took the liberty of preparing the 240sx for its next conquest. This ordeal involved:

- Oil change. This is only exciting because I'm now using Valvoline VR1 RACING oil. It must be good because it's specifically formulated for RACING, right? I'm hoping the anti-foam properties help in keeping the turbo from foamulating my oil and possibly reducing my oilability. I'm also running straight 60 wt in hopes of reducing oil blow-by, as well as expecting a lot of heat in Toledo. I hope I'm not wrong.

- New old spark plugs. I had some Iridiums already gapped and ready to go. They've been sitting on my desk forever. I pulled the old copper plugs and they were somewhat gritty coming out, but nothing some PB Blaster couldn't fix. I'm really hoping nothing is fucked, but I also hope I didn't lose any compression through the plugs being dirty and not fully seated.

- Compression. Check. While the plugs were out, I had Jenna crank it over. 180 across the board. My rings are good.

- Reworked crankcase breather. My evac check valve is seized shut, so for now I'm just running a breather line. Blow-by seems to be reduced, and hopefully oil consumption will go down. The rings should seat better as well, so I should have more power and less chance of detonation! Win-win!

Also, some newly installed parts since last week that I meant to put up include:
- New rear shocks:

- Lighter rear spindles (7lbs weight reduction per side OMG!):

T-minus 1 hour till Project Kick Ass In Toledo kicks off in a kick ass Armada.

- PJ
(fueled by an overabundance of breakfast)

No comments: