Wednesday, May 25, 2011

There's No Crying In Racing: 2011 NJ Pro Solo

I used to go to big national events and just watch. I also used to cry when I didn't do well. Yes, I know. Both kind of stupid.

That being said, from watching and not driving, I got really familiar with the pro solo format. So when it came to the Dirty Jerz, I figured it was about time I stop spectating and start driving. I finally have my own car, so if I don't drive it, what the F was the point of a small diamond ring?

Given that the car has made it through exactly ONE event without some sort of issue, I was a bit concerned. Or maybe that's an understatement. I was terrified. Baby Panda has never seen national competition, so I was worried she'd get scared and decide to crap out. On top of that, the 48+ launches it was going to endure had me worried about the clutch as well. On top of that....I suck at launching on command, I don't do well without getting out and taking a break, and I haven't gotten the shakes yet. But....screw it. I'm going to drive!

When we got to the site, as if all the car/driver worries weren't enough, somehow the Nationals Staff had somehow overlooked my three emails about having two drivers in both ST and STX, so we were all in the same heat, and in the same group. FML. It probably contributed to the amount of stress we were all under when the event began, but by the end of first runs, it wasn't terrible, aside from the grid guy who couldn't seem to get it through his head.

Despite my nerves almost getting the better of me (I almost threw up before I ran, and almost cried for the first time), after my first launch, I was hooked.  What a great adrenaline rush. I've never gotten the shakes while driving before. And my worries about launching were unfounded. I did that better at launching than the actual driving part. Go fig.
By the time the AM heat was over (with only one RL, due to staging WAY too deep), I was beating Wiley (by only a little)....which never happens....and was also in far better spirits. 

Of course, my spirits would sink, as the sky got pretty dark and it started sprinkling right before my afternoon runs. I had to turn the wipers on, and was on the left to start, which had been my weak side anyway. Of course. The ground was wet, I hate you rain. Somehow, I still managed to hang on to 4th place out of 6. We went to dinner, reviewed some data, drank some beer. Or a lot of it.  

Going into Sunday's runs, I knew I needed a better left side time. I got to start on the right, which for me, was a lot more comforting. My right side was ok--I ended up picking up a second on the right on my first run, but I pushed far too hard on the left. Both times. Sigh. Not the best finish at my first national outing of the season. I did learn a lot, though. In no particular order:
  • "Mommy needs a new pair of shoes" doesn't coerce your car to turn in. It's probably better that I don't have video yet. There will be much profanity when it's finally posted. 
  • Eric Chiang's Relaxation Techniques should be taught to all noobs at every race. They really work.
  • Well-made, suede steering wheels are totally worth it. I hit the steering wheel several times after my bad runs, and it didn't bend or break.
  • Thanks Peej, for buying the MaxQ. It really, really, really helps.
I almost cried again, because I didn't improve as much as I needed to move up in the standings. But--THERE IS NO CRYING IN RACING. A few minutes later, I was smiling again, because I'm very lucky. I have good support networks and I have good friends. And thank God there was some estrogen at this race. It's nice to have your girls around when you need them.
Photo courtesy of Wiley Cox

 All in all, I'm pretty please with how Baby Panda did. She didn't get scared, lasted the whole race, finally got comfortable with her new shoes (shaved RS3's, and I am never having TireRack shave again as they did a terrible job), and finally decided to come out and play for real. By the end of the event, I was exhausted, but ready for Oscoda. 

Photo courtesy of Wiley Cox

Dover up next, then Oscoda! I probably won't cry there.

2 comments:

Asad said...

You should call it the Red Panda!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_panda

Wiley said...

Agreed that this was an excellent weekend. And don't get used to beating me. :)